PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™ Outdoor Growing Medium For Large Containers, Perennials, and Nursery Stock
Tuesday, September 12, 2017 | Ed Bloodnick
Due to the success of our chunk coir containing growing medium, PRO-MIX® HPCC MYCORRHIZAE™, Premier Tech Horticulture is offering a new product called PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™ with 40% chunk coir. Chunk coir provides a growing medium with higher water holding capacity and at the same time increases its air porosity. It also resists microbial breakdown, so it will retain its physical properties and is therefore ideal for long term growing.
PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™ is designed to be an outdoor growing medium for larger containers, perennials and nursery stock. It contains no perlite, giving the product a more natural, earthy look. In contrast, PRO-MIX® HPCC MYCORRHIZAE™ is designed for greenhouse crops in containers 4 inches or larger as well as hanging basket, large containers and perennials. The perlite is added for extra drainage during cloudy, cool, short days.
Unlike bark growing medium which have low water holding capacity, PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™ holds much more water, so watering frequency is greatly reduced. This has the following advantages:
- Reduced runoff due to fewer watering events
- More efficient use of water
- Preferred for hot, dry climates or drought conditions
- Reduced labor to water plants
Often when plants are watered there is waste; whether it is from excess water running out of the drainage holes in the bottom of containers or water that does not make it into the container (especially if overhead sprinklers are used). Reducing watering frequency can therefore minimize water waste since there will be fewer times water is applied. This results in a reduction in overall water usage. Also during rain events, even if they are rare, more water will be retained by the growing medium, taking more advantage of this free water resource.
The following ingredients are found in PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™:
- Canadian Sphagnum peat moss (55-65%)
- Coir chunk - acts as a water reservoir to increase water holding capacity, also improves long-term wetting ability, increases air porosity and reduces long term compaction.
- Dolomitic and calcitic limestone - for initial pH adjustment (5.2 - 5.8)
- Starter fertilizer charge - low solubility, granular starter fertilizer feeds young plant for 4 weeks
- Wetting agent
- MYCORRHIZAE™ – natural symbiosis of a fungus and plant root that increases root absorption area to acquire water and nutrients for plants.
"Peat/Coir-Based Growing Medium
PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™"
For more information about PRO-MIX® CC40 MYCORRHIZAE™, please contact your Premier Tech Horticulture Sales Representative or Grower Services Representative.
PRO-MIX® is a registered trademark of Premier Horticulture Ltd.
Horticulture specialist Ed Bloodnick presents PRO-MIX® CC40, a new generation of coir growing media. The unique structure of the coir found in CC40 provides an optimized growing environment for plants such as long term crops especially under drought conditions.
Horticulture Director from our Grower Services team, Ed Bloodnick talks about PRO-MIX HPCC MYCORRHIZAE, a peat/chunk coir-based professional growing medium.